N4 Pharma’s Nuvec® silica nanoparticles have a unique irregular (spiky) surface structure, coupled with polyethyleneimine (PEI), that simply and effectively traps and protects nucleic acid (such as siRNA/ mRNA /DNA) as it travels to the cells.
- The Nuvec® particle is simply loaded with the siRNA/DNA/mRNA via a simple mixing process where the spiky structure protects the payload.
- The Nuvec® particle carrying the siRNA/DNA/mRNA attaches to the cell membrane and is taken up into the cell via general and dynamin endocytosis.
- Once inside the cell, PEI changes its charge and begins to disassociate from the particle, releasing the siRNA/DNA/mRNA.
- The released PEI ruptures the endosome membrane releasing the siRNA/DNA/mRNA into the cytoplasm.
- The siRNA/DNA/mRNA is then free to be transfected to produce the desired biological effect.
Recent work indicates that Nuvec® can be loaded with single or multiple strands of SiRNA, mRNA, DNA and a wide range of plasmids including TNFalpha, IL12, IL2. It protects and delivers each compound / molecule into the same cell and generates the desired antigen protein expression, protein silencing or other desired outcome.
The Nuvec® system is currently in the pre-clinical research phase. Some of its key features are outlined below:
- High loading capacity: The unique Nuvec® particle topography allows higher loading capacity, compared to alternative particle shapes. This property of the Nuvec® particle has been confirmed for both siRNA/mRNA/pDNA
- Strong binding: Novel design of nanoparticles to maintain strong binding to the particle
- Quick cellular uptake and endosomal release: Membrane and entry into the cell nucleus without leakage to liver
- Localised transfection efficiency: Transfection using pDNA/mRNA/siRNA loaded particles confirmed in human cell models
- Suppresses tumour growth: When loaded with TN alpha pDNA and injected, Nuvec® demonstrated a significant inhibition of tumour growth derived from a human cell line
- Very scalable: Can be manufactured inexpensively in a controlled manner to range from 100-600nm in size
- Formulation stability: Nuvec® can be easily loaded with the nucleic acid, dried, stored at four degrees for up to six months and reconstituted without loss of performance
To see our proof of concept data contact us here.